Saturday, January 31, 2009

Water Baby!

With up to 40 degree temperatures here in Sydney, there really has been nothing worth doing except getting in the water. I have been loving it!! Mum first took me in the pool at my friend from mother's group Charlie's house. Mum wasn't sure if I would like it, but what's not to like? It was like a giant bath, plus all my friends were there. Fantastic! Since then, we have been to the pools at Colloroy and Dee Why nearly every day.

Of course, not all my water experiences have been fun. I was having a wash in the laundry sink a few nights ago (saves Mum and Dad's backs!) when I slipped under the water. Daddy grabbed my arm but it slipped and I was under for about two seconds. Mum said it felt like a lifetime, which seems a little dramatic to me. Anyway, Dad pulled me right out of the water and tipped me upside down while Mum whacked my back. I don't know what they thought they were doing!! I was fine! Cold and dizzy from being upside down of course, but otherwise fine. I got back in the sink, gave them both a reassuring smile and got back to the business of sucking on the flannel. My parents can be very strange sometimes. The next night when I got in the sink there was a rubber mat under my bum. A bit uncomfortable, but hey, as long as there is a flannel to suck on, I don't mind what I have to endure.

To calm nerves and build confidence (Mum and Dad's, not mine!), we started swimming lessons today at the Brooke Withers Swim School. There were lots of kids in the pool, most of them with their daddies. Mum thinks it's nice that it's a 'Dad' thing to do, and I think so too. Our instructor, Rosemary, was very nice and liked to have a cuddle, but she also liked to push me and my new friends under the water! It was a bit bewildering, but I didn't mind it too much. Dad was a bit scared and tried to only pretend to put me under when he thought Rosemary wasn't looking, but she saw him and made him do it properly. He is such a scaredy-cat, but Rosemary and I made him feel brave and we did it a few times. Mum just sat on the side of the pool, taking 106 photos when she wasn't covering her eyes during the scary bits.

I am off for lunch and a nap now. I am exhausted!! All this swimming really takes it out of you.


1 comment:

Olive eight one said...

Hi Milly,

You look very cute in your swimming photos! Tell your beautiful mother and ratbag father they are doing a great job and not to worry- you feel very safe!

Missing you lot's already. Can you also tell your Mum and Dad you would like to visit aunty(/godmother) sj again. That would be great.

xxx